I have a signed contract with a roofing company that says…

Customer Question
I have a signed...

I have a signed contract with a roofing company that says they would begin the project July 1 - 4, 2017. They have consistently given me reasons ("Another large project came up and we'll try to fit you in", "Let me look at our schedule and see what job we're doing that's close to you.", etc.). I locked in the date in April. I informed them in April when we signed the contract that my ceiling was leaking. It has gotten considerably worst up to the point I may have additional internal damage because I have had to wait longer than agreed. There was a large hail storm in May, and my guess is they are ignoring my small job for the larger ones. What, if any legal recourse, if any, do I have with this company?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

No, you are my first legal consult.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything right now.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2017
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Does the contract state the dates that the project would begin or was that separate from the contract?

The date is stated on the signed contract. When the first sent me the contract to sign, it didn't have a start or finish date on it, so I asked them to provide a date before I would sign it. They then sent it back with the aforementioned date inserted.

So you basically have two options.

The first would be to sue them in court to force them to begin work on the contract. Courts are a little reluctant to force people to do work and instead are more likely to award damages for breach of contract.

This leads to the second option. The second option would be that you can go out and hire another roofer and pay a premium in order to have them begin the work immediately. Then you could sue the first roofing company for the difference between what you had to pay the new roofer versus what you were supposed to pay the old roofer. This way, you get what you originally bargained for with the old roofer. Most likely you could bring a case in small claims court as long as the amount of damages is not excessive.