Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I got a DUI/DWI last week. I have a VA drivers license, but…

Customer Question
I got a DUI/DWI...

I got a DUI/DWI last week. I have a VA drivers license, but the offense was in MD. Do I still need to contact the MVA within 10 days to request a hearing with them?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. It happened last Thursday night and I already received notice from the court that a trial will be set.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They should probably know this will be my second offense. The first one was 15 years ago and was expunged

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Maryland can't suspend your ***** *****cense, but they can suspend your Virginia driving privileges, which will come down to the same thing. Maryland and Virginia are part of the Interstate Driver's Compact, an agreement among member states to handle serious driving offenses under a one driver/one license theory of accountability. So once Maryland notifies Virginia of your suspension, Virginia will suspend your license.

This is all by way of saying that yes, if you want to challenge the suspension, you should notify the MVA within 10 days.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney