Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Second opinion] I am searching for answers on how to

Customer Question

Second opinion] hello, I am searching for answers on how to terminate my daughters biological fathers rights. he hasn't had any contact with her since he left 10 years ago.JA: Have any papers been filed in family court?Customer: i have never had the need to. The only papers that i filed, where 5 years ago trying to get child support and the court stated unless i could provide his location, they couldn't help me. i have been her sole provider and never needed assistance from him to raise her, the relationship ended in a bitter dispute, it was best for him to stay away from us. initially he was paying some money once a month, but after a few months he changed his phone number and there was no way of me reaching him. i pretty much gave up trying and it has now been 10 years.JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?Customer: I am in NY state I have since married and been married for 6 years now. her step father is the only father she has known for almost 8 years now. the reason this is all coming up now, is that we are taking a family vacation to Cancun Mexico, and i have not been able to get her passport. I filed form DS-5525 along with her application, but they did not accept it and we have our vacation planned and booked to leave next week and i don't know what to do.JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: is there a fee? or will they offer a free consultation?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

First, you need to file Emergency Motion with the Court for sole custody so that you can use that to get the child's passport approved. Then when you are back from your vacation, you can file for involuntary termination of the parental rights and provide reasons for doing so just like you did on your post here. You can obtain forms for the emergency Motion and for termination of parental rights at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Best wishes,