The co-owner of my house, a 2apt house has not pid his half…

Customer Question
The co-owner of my...

The co-owner of my house, a 2apt house has not pid his half for 3 months. I am going to be homeless and I am disabled. Is there any legal way to force him out?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What can be filed or reported?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of right.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
8/2/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If the other individual is a owner of the home, then you won't be able to force them out of the property because they are not a tenant. One of the things that you could do is that you could demand that they make their payment on the portion of the house. however, the only problem would be is if you don't have an agreement stating that they were going to pay for 50% of the house, then you would not have any recourse. However, if you had even an oral agreement that said that they were going to pay for 50% of the house and they did not then it's going to be a breach of contract. A breach-of-contract occurs when one party promises that they are going to perform and they do not. You may be entitled to damages at that point which would include all of the back payments that need to be made to keep you from having your home foreclosed upon. To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then you may want to consider bringing a lawsuit after that because it will be clear they will not be willing to settle the issue.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.