Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'm in the middle of settling an estate from my deceased…

Customer Question
Hi there....I'm in the...

Hi there....I'm in the middle of settling an estate from my deceased grandmother with my uncle...i'm trying to insure that a residential piece of property is correctly titled and transferred correctly.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is in Washington state. we are doing a non judicial settlement and I want to make sure my interest is protected when it comes to the property...his lawyer has it as a statutory warranty deed..i basically want to make sure that he can't sell it or mortgage it without my permission..

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Grandma died in 2013, and he just recently filed the will...the property could be worth over half a million, but he says he just wants it kept as is while he is alive..i'm ok with that, but if he changes his mind I need to insure half of the proceeds from any sale. In other words I don't want him selling it without me knowing and being entitled to half the value but when he dies then I get the whole ownership

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
8/2/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 6 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

An executor can only transfer title by executor deed. This can only pass to the beneficiary named in the will. If executor does otherwise, the surrogate court can void the transfer and award you legal fees.

Please let me know if that is clear.

Tina, Lawyer