I live in Pa. my brother lived in W. Yarmouth, Cape. I am…

Customer Question
I live in Pa...

I live in Pa. my brother lived in W. Yarmouth, Cape Cod. I am the exec. Do I have to go through probate and can his tiny estate be settled here in Pa. because I am unable to go to Cape Cod.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He had a small savings account in the Rockland Bank in Barnstable and a small amount in a checking account from which I have been paying his bills. I would like to pay a couple of more bills but the POA does not exist for me since his death last week.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I appreciate your help but that's the help I need now. How long will it take t get this matter get this settled? Thank you!

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

My brother lived in Massachusetts and I live in Honey Brook, Pennsylvania.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
8/2/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 11 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

what is the approximate size of the estate?

He had a small 3-bedroom cape codder with LR and kitchen. He has a reverse mortgage on it. He was a bachelor and lived alone.(2 blocks from the beach).
Approximate monetary amount?
The house value is approximately $200,000 but it has a septic tank that needs to be replaced which I do not want to do? So that drops the value of the house.

The estate is not small enough for expedited handling. It has to be probated, and you can do it yourself with clerks office aid or using an estates lawyer locally.

Kindly let me know if that is clear and acceptable.