Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My mother passed away and left her my special needs son with…

Customer Question
My mother passed away...

My mother passed away and left her my special needs son with me. How do I become his payee for his ssi. benefits and his medical insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only to social serurity that my mom has passed

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
8/2/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

When you want to change the rep payee, go to your Social Security Administration field office and request a change of payee. You will be given a form to fill out, and guidance will be provided if necessary.

If possible, take the son with you to the Social Security Administration Field Office. They will need to verify their identity with picture identification and a Social Security card. The SSA will also need them to verify that you are willing to assume the responsibilities, which include: helping you pay your bills, helping you buy your groceries, and (in most cases) making sure that you have some discretionary money after your immediate needs are taken care of.

Also take the death certificate of the mother.This should allow Social Security to change and name you as the new alternate payee/You really want to do this in person with the special needs son and the death certificate as well.

I am so sorry for your loss.I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you both the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Reference

https://www.disabilitybenefitscenter.org/how-to/change-the-social-security-disability-payee

Ray, Lawyer