What are the laws that would prevent a person from buying a…

Customer Question
What are the laws that...
What are the laws that would prevent a person from buying a gun in colorado ( plain English )
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
8/2/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

PROHIBITED PURCHASERS

Laws prohibiting certain persons from purchasing

firearms help keep guns out of the hands of individuals who may be dangerous.

Federal law

prohibits the sale of firearms to several categories of people including convicted felons,

minors, individuals with a history of drug use or mental illness, and certain domestic violence perpetrators.

Colorado law exceeds federal law in this area

by expanding prohibited purchasers to include those charged with a domestic violence

misdemeanor (but not yet convicted) and extends categories of prohibited juvenile offenders.

Firearms pose a particular threat to victims of

domestic violence. Laws that prohibit domestic

abusers from purchasing a firearm are associated with

a reduction in the number of intimate partner

homicides.

ii

Federal law prohibits any person who has been

convicted of a domestic violence misdemeanor or

who is subject to a domestic violence protective

order from possessing firearms or ammunition.

iii

Colorado law exceeds federal law by providing

a mechanism to disarm perpetrators of domestic

violence. Senate Bill 197, adopted in 2013, requires

a person subject to a civil protection order to relinquish his or her firearms, and refrain from possessing

or purchasing any firearms or ammunition, for the

duration of the order.

Background checks identify and prevent persons

who are ineligible to purchase firearms from obtain

-

ing them.

Federal Law

requires federally licensed fire

-

arms dealers to perform background checks on

prospective firearms purchasers.

v

Federal law does

not require a background check when a firearm is

sold by someone who is not a licensed dealer.

Colorado law requires a background check on

the purchaser of a firearm when the seller is not a

licensed dealer.

Here unless you have convictions for felonies or domestic violence you can purchase a firearm with a background check.You can purchase from any gun store or other dealer or individual.

I appreciate the chance to help , let me know if you have more.

Thanks again.

Thanks for rating 5 stars.

Ray, Lawyer