Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have been with a financial group for five plus years. They

Customer Question

I have been with a financial group for five plus years. They are changing broker/dealer representors and have asked me to sign a pre dispute arbitration agreement. I have not been happy with the existing group and have expressed it... in order to get out of this they say I would have a penalty in excess of $9000.
Do I have to sign agreement ??? How can I get out of this??? ***@******.***
Expert:  Legal Expert Justin replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Why are they saying you would owe a penalty if you have not signed the agreement yet? What is the penalty fore, exactly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been with the original group for five plus years...they are changing their broker/dealers.... I have been told there would be no change to me.... I have then asked why do I have to sign anything if there is no change to me.... I want to get my money back since I have been happy with their handling of my account and see no improvement in their "improvement".
My understanding that the penalty is a withdrawal penalty. We're talking over 200k....
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Looks like too much add on......

Is this withdrawal penalty part of your original contract? It seems odd that there would be a penalty, although there is probably some sort of transaction fee. If it is a transaction fee, you would have to pay that anytime you wanted to move the money, regardless if they wanted you to sign a new agreement.