Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is it legal in colorado for a husband to change the

Customer Question
Is it legal in...

Is it legal in colorado for a husband to change the beneficiary without consalting his wife

Lawyer's Assistant: Have the trust documents been finalized? What are the basic terms?

I was to inherit the insurance money when he passed and he changed it to go to our daughter

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have paid the insurance for 18 years cannot prove since it came out of a joint acct., he died of cancer

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
8/2/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The answer to your question unfortunately is yes. A person that has an insurance policy is allowed to change the designation of their beneficiaries at any time. They do not need to consult their spouse.

If your husband had a will, and you were left off from receiving anything in the will, then there is a chance that you may receive something under what is called a “pretermitted spouse.” all this means is that the law will presume that your husband intended to provide for you, but simply forgot to do so. If your husband specifically said that he was not going to be leaving anything to you and as well, then that legal theory won't apply. Otherwise, it may be useful for you to double-check his will, if he had one, to see whether you can still claim something. I'm sorry and I wish I had better news for you in the situation

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer