I was hit in the rear, while stopped, by an ice cream truck,

Customer Question
I was hit in...

I was hit in the rear, while stopped, by an ice cream truck, in Suffern, New York--(Rockland County). The business location for the ice cream truck and home address of the driver are both i New Jersey. I live in Rockland County. Where does the Small Claims action about this have to take place?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

The accident happened in New York. I do not know how old the truck is.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I reported it to the Ramapo Police Dept., (in Suffern, New York), but since the accident happened more than 10 days prior to that, they could do nothing.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
8/2/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If the ice cream truck does not have a business address in New York, then the small claims suit would be filed in New Jersey, in the county where the driver/owner lives. Small claims is only for residents of a given state.

For damages exceeding $5,000, you could sue in the NY Supreme Court, because that's where the accident occurred. A person who drives on NY roads is agreeing to be sued in New York in relation to any accidents that arise - you're only limited if you want to use Small Claims.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Am I absolutely precluded from suing in a New York State Small Claims Court? (The damages are only about $1,000.00.) The ice cream truck has permission to use the New York roads to conduct its business by a New York authority.

You can only sue in New York Small Claims if they have a registered address for service of process with the NY Secretary of State. They should, if they're licensed to operate in NY. Look them up here:

https://www.dos.ny.gov/corps/bus_entity_search.html

Do you have any other questions about this?