How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5300
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tenant in a commercial bulding. He has no lease and

Customer Question

I have a tenant in a commercial bulding. He has no lease and hasn't for years. He is 3 months behind on rent. He fails to speak to me and cooperate on getting his rent current, What can i do? We are in MA.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Massachusettes
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Generally, if it party does not have a least, than they are going to be considered a month to month tenant. A month to month tenancy you can be terminated at any time for any reason so long as there is usually at least 30 days written notice in advance. If you would like the individual out, my recommendation would be to begin the eviction procedures immediately. To recover your rent, you may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter that they pay back the amount that they owe. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If you end up having to litigate the case, then you would likely sue for breach of contract because they did not comply with the terms of your agreement. Even though you did not have a lease, if the two of you had in oral agreement at that the tenant was to pay a certain amount each month, and they did not need an obligation, then you would be successful in a court of law

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?