I am trying to find out the best way to handle a situation.

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find out the best way to handle a situation. I took out credit cards in my daughters name and used them to help with her college. she found out about 3 years ago and I explained it to her and she was fine with it. Now she is not and is talking about filing an identity theft report. The cards have been paid on time with no problem but she feels it is messing up her credit. What options do I have if she decides to file a report. Oh and she has made purchases with one of the cards as well.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Texas. About 4 -5 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
8/2/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If the bills have been paid on time, why does she think it is messing up her credit? I ask because timely payments over a period of time builds credit. Also, why did she not cancel these once she was aware and report it then?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Because she was ok with it at the time. I told her it's building her credit but she thinks its not because her score is 588. These are the only lines of credit she has. I want to know what options are if she decides to file a report given she has used one of the cards herself

Thank you for the reply. Opening the accounts without her permission, is illegal and there would be a basis for criminal charges to be filed. However, the issue is that you made her aware of it, she did not report this and she continued to use the accounts on her own and pay for them. As such, it would be hard for her to prove that this was done without her consent and illegally, when she used them and did not take action once she was aware. If the cards are paid on time every month, her credit score should only increase. At 588, there would be reason to believe she has other debts which are not being paid or previous issues, which are causing it to be low. Now, if she reports this, it will be investigated. The credit card company may close the account but it would be up to her to call the police. As I shared, the biggest thing for her to explain, is why she knew about this and did nothing and even went so far as to use the cards, which someone does not do, when there is fraud.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!