Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

I have a serious problem somebody is blackmailing me bcz of

Customer Question

i have a serious problem somebody is blackmailing me bcz of my private vide o
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: houston texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no no one helped me even police
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: hmmm can u report that person who is blackmailing me
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for posting your question today. Blackmail is an offense under the consolidated Texas theft statute. The element of the crime require coercion , extortion or a demand of property without your lawful consent due to a coercion about revealing some information or making a threat.

In order to charge a person under the statute you need to either file a local police report or make a compalint to your nearest District Attorney's office.

"

ec. 31.03. THEFT. (a) A person commits an offense if he unlawfully appropriates property with intent to deprive the owner of property.

(b) Appropriation of property is unlawful if:

(1) it is without the owner's effective consent;

(2) the property is stolen and the actor appropriates the property knowing it was stolen by another; or

(3) property in the custody of any law enforcement agency was explicitly represented by any law enforcement agent to the actor as being stolen and the actor appropriates the property believing it was stolen by another."

You should keep documented evidence of the blackmail to present to the district attorney and law enforcement so that the perpetrator can be prosecuted.

If he can't be charged with blackmail , it is possible to charge him with harassment or stalking.

The attorney general's office offers useful information on victims of harassment and stalking.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cvs/information-on-stalking

We are here to help.

Please follow up with me when needed.

In return remember to rate positively.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thanks

Attorney Bill