I have been told that I am the beneficiary of a large sum of…

Customer Question
I have been told...

I have been told that I am the beneficiary of a large sum of money that has resulted from a friends death when he was out of the US. The money was the final payment on a Malaysian government contract. I've been contacted by an attorney in Kuala Lumpur but my family is sure it is a scam. I don't agree and have decided I need an international law firm to investigate the attorney and the security company that is holding the asset (Maur Malaysia). How to I find a law firm in the US who has associates in in Malaysia that I can trust?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have the trust documents been finalized? What are the basic terms?

Yes in the courts and the attorney tried to get the $$ to the US but was stopped by customs. I have something that indicates its a court paper but how would I know if it is even legit?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't understand your question. If you are speaking of the IRS, no.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have 6 months of attorney emails and a confirmation letter from Maur Malaysia (the security company supposedly holding the goods). I would like-if this is legit- to deal with all issues through my own attorney not the Malaysian one (tho' he has seemed upfront with me). What will the cost be to speak with an attorney?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Ok

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
8/2/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

This is undoubtedly a scam here.Anytime they want money from overseas you know its a scam.If they were legitimate and were holding funds they could simply deduct them from what you receive.They are just trying to get you to send funds and you should just say no here.These guys are not legitimate.I wish I could tell you otherwise don't fall victim here.Let it go.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer