How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12304
Experience:  dasdasd
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been sued, someone handed me papers two weeks ago, and

Customer Question

Ive been sued, someone handed me papers two weeks ago, and Today is the deadline, the 14th day, to provide an answer. I have nothing planned and I dont know what to do. How do I provide answer? do I write a letter and turn it in? do i call? can I have this reset for a further date?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you may receive an automatic phone call offer. I do not send that offer, the system does. Feel free to accept it if you would like to talk on the phone. Otherwise, we can continue here.

Also, if you are waiting for a while for my response, it is because we are very busy or I am preparing a response to your question. I promise that I will be here to help you. So please do not click Opt Out and do not close the question. This will only result in further delays while you wait for another Expert. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Did you not find a lawyer to help you yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I didn't
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

OK, well that is a big problem. What is the specific court? And what is the specific filing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In the Justice Court Harris County, Texas Preceinct 5, PLace 1I don't know the specific filing.: could it be ; Citation (Debt Claim Case) Private Process?
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay, but I was offline when you responded. Please note it was 3 hours after my request for information.

So you have been sued for failing to fulfill a debt? What is the document you received that asks for an answer? It should be titled at the top of the front page of the document.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I attached the paper, I can't find specific filling on the paper.
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

OK, thank you. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

The problem is that you waited too long to answer the lawsuit. What you should have done was filed an answer before the deadline. It could have been a letter to the judge, or it could have been on the following form:

But unfortunately, you waited too long. Even yesterday, after 4pm, was too late. And you answered by question after 6pm.

Since you have missed the deadline, it is likely that the court has entered a judgement against you. That means you probably have lost the case and will be responsible for paying the debt you owe and additional court fees that the other side has paid. You should check with the court to make sure.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can i pretend that this would be the 14th day and write a letter? All I am asking for is just more time to submit an answer?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This actually could be the 14th day I am not so sure either.
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

You can't pretend. It is either the 14th day or it is not.

When did you receive the document? When was it served to you? You signed for something when it was given to you. When was that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think I signed it on the 18th, but I don't remember.
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

It is the end of the 14th day AFTER the day you were served. If you were served on the 18th, then start counting from the 19th. The 14th day was August 1. So it needed to be filed by yesterday.

You can still try to answer today asking for an extension, and hope the judge will accept it. That is your only option. But the judge does not have to.

Please go to the top of this page and click on 4 or 5 stars.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!