Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Im in tourist visa i came to usa on april and i went to

Customer Question
Hello im in tourist...

Hello im in tourist visa i came to usa on april and i went to mexico for couple days when i arrived to newark airport i was with my boyfriend and my aunt and the imigration freak out becausw she threw that i wanna turn to imigrant and she asked me alot of queasyion and in the end she said make sure you are living the country in 2 weeks my fiancé is ready to fix it but what can we do so i can not leave

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?

Im in New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We can get married so i can stay

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
8/1/2017
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you may receive an automatic phone call offer. I do not send that offer, the system does. Feel free to accept it if you would like to talk on the phone. Otherwise, we can continue here.

Also, if you are waiting for a while for my response, it is because we are very busy or I am preparing a response to your question. I promise that I will be here to help you. So please do not click Opt Out and do not close the question. This will only result in further delays while you wait for another Expert. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Please give me some time to consider your question.

Did you enter with a visitor visa?

When does that status expire?

What does the stamp in your passport say?

Is your boyfriend/fiance a US citizen?

i enter on a visitor visa my i94 was suppose to expire on october but the imigration ask me to make sure that i leave in 2 weeks and she made sure that she have my adressse she said the same sentence in 3 times yes he is a us citizen
My fiancée is a us citizen and ready to help he doesnt want me to leave the country
WE want to fix this so i can turn to imigrant but we dont know how and the easy way
Im waiting for à answer from you

Yes, I understand you are waiting for an answer. But please read my very first response. It says I might be delayed trying to help you and other customers. Each time you post a response, it only delays my response even more. So please be patient and do not ask me to answer to tell me you are waiting. It will make your wait longer. Thank you.

I know she said she wants you to leave in 2 weeks. But what does the actual entry stamp in your passport say about expiration?

Do you have a copy of your I-94?

The i94 is the same
Expire soon
In a month

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Just because the officer said you have to leave in two weeks does not mean you have to leave in two weeks. The I-94/entry stamp in your passport determines when you have to leave. He is a border officer. But a USCIS officer does not have to follow those recommendations. Again, the I-94 is the document that tells you when you must leave. Find the most current version of your I94 here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

If you want to get married and apply for adjustment of status, then you should do that. I would wait until about 30 days before October expiration to get married, and then apply for the adjustment of status. As long as it is filed before your I-94 expires, you can stay and wait for the green card processing to be completed.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

I cannot see my answer, above. Can you see it?

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer