Is it legal for a New York City teacher to record class

Customer Question
sessions and activity in hallways...
Is it legal for a New York City teacher to record class sessions and activity in hallways and meetings as long as he/she is in or around students, teachers, or administrators in the same room or hallway? I ask for protective measures so no one can say I did something that I did not do. I have not been able to find a Chancellor's Regulation prohibiting such behavior. Thank you in advance
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
8/1/2017
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 11 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

NY law is clear on this, so long as the party who is recording is part of the conversation? They can record without informing others.
So a teacher could record surreptitiously.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.