Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I got an email this guy is my business parner he cc other 9…

Customer Question
Yes i got an...

Yes i got an email this guy is my business parner he cc other 9 partners

Lawyer's Assistant: Have charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

And made a false statement about my personal lie

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Newyork

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats all

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
personal "life"
8/1/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 6 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

One of my business partner send an email and cc ed my other 8 partners. He made false statement about my personal life and my lifestyle which is very embarrassing. I would like to complain and file charges. I am not sure could i file criminal charges or i have to file civil defamation? need your advice on that.

Thank you for the information. Kindly give me few minutes to prepare my response.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

This is not a criminal matter. This is a civil case.

You can file defamation lawsuit against the partner for making false statements about you. However, in order to prevail in a defamation suit, you must be able to prove all of the elements of defamation. Generally, you must be able to prove (1) that a defamatory (false and libelous) statement was made against you; (2) that there was a unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (e-mails to other 8 partners with false information about you); (3) if the defamatory statement is a matter of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher—this may not apply to you if you are not a public figure; (4) then finally you have to prove that you suffered damages as a result of the defamation.

You would need to consult with a Civil Rights Attorney in your area to assist you in putting your claim together as these cases can be very difficult to win. Interview at least three Attorneys and/or review their web sites to see which one will be a better match for you. You want to look for someone who is not too busy to handle your case; someone who will return your phone calls in a timely manner, and someone who will give you prompt updates on your case.

Click here to find local Attorneys in your area who handle defamation cases:

Civil Rights Lawyers

Justia.com

findlaw.com

Goodluck with your case,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law