How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19624
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got an email this guy is my business parner he cc other 9

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: yes i got an email this guy is my business parner he cc other 9 partners
JA: Have charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: and made a false statement about my personal lie
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Newyork
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats all
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
personal "life"
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Could you explain a little more?

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One of my business partner send an email and cc ed my other 8 partners. He made false statement about my personal life and my lifestyle which is very embarrassing. I would like to complain and file charges. I am not sure could i file criminal charges or i have to file civil defamation? need your advice on that.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the information. Kindly give me few minutes to prepare my response.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

This is not a criminal matter. This is a civil case.

You can file defamation lawsuit against the partner for making false statements about you. However, in order to prevail in a defamation suit, you must be able to prove all of the elements of defamation. Generally, you must be able to prove (1) that a defamatory (false and libelous) statement was made against you; (2) that there was a unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (e-mails to other 8 partners with false information about you); (3) if the defamatory statement is a matter of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher—this may not apply to you if you are not a public figure; (4) then finally you have to prove that you suffered damages as a result of the defamation.

You would need to consult with a Civil Rights Attorney in your area to assist you in putting your claim together as these cases can be very difficult to win. Interview at least three Attorneys and/or review their web sites to see which one will be a better match for you. You want to look for someone who is not too busy to handle your case; someone who will return your phone calls in a timely manner, and someone who will give you prompt updates on your case.

Click here to find local Attorneys in your area who handle defamation cases:

Civil Rights Lawyers

Goodluck with your case,