About a year ago I was sent to collections by an apartment…

Customer Question
Hi so about a...

Hi so about a year ago I was sent to collections by an apartment complex and they sent me to collections prior to mailing me a notice. Then we came to an amount to pay in which I did and they were to take me out of collections well they never did and I found out by a auto disapproval letter and I have proof of payment and agreement. Could I sue them for this since it may interfere with my job

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

An attorney made the agreement between both parties and I held my end of the bargain but they didn't do theres

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just found this out and it's in collections for an amount I paid already

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in?

WA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That about some sit all I do want to sue since it may interfere with my clearance for my job

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
8/1/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 11 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Yes, you can sue them for breaching the agreement and for damages the breach has caused you.

Best wishes,

Is this something that may cost a lot in the long run on my part? I want to sue them but have a deployment around the corner and also want to know how much this may be worth

Unfortunately, I cannot predict what your litigation costs would be. However, the costs of litigation depend on the conduct of the parties in the case and their Attorneys. Also, I cannot tell you how much your case would be worth. That would be a determination made by you and your Attorney. This site does not offer legal representation. So, I cannot act as your Attorney.

What should be my next step in pursuing an issue as such?
Lawyer: Van, Retired Judge replied 11 months ago
Van
Van, Retired Judge

Hi, my name is***** think I can help you with this matter. Do you have a written document reflecting the amount that you agreed to pay the company in return for them removing this debt out of collections?

I do. I have the document by the lawyer stating the issue at hand. They sent me to collections in November but sent me a notice in January then I have the document by the Lawyer stating a agreement that I really didn't want to agree to since they were charging me for a carpet that needed to be replaced due to mold but they stated there were cool aid stains and that was the root cause for replacement they said
No call necessary I may have clicked that accidentally

So let me make sure I understand the issue here. You were in debt collections from an apartment building lease. You entered into an agreement to pay off the debt. After paying off the debt the apartment refused to take your debt out of collections arguing that the damaged carpet still need to be paid for by you. Is this correct?

They wanted me to make 3 payments in the amount of 275.71 and in doing so they would take me out of collections and consider the debt satisfied but they never did and I just found out a week ago. This was all from 2016. I have proof of payment and the document that states the agreement
this may interfere with my clearance for my job

Got it. Now that I have a better understanding on how you satisfied the debt. I suggest that you contact the three credit reporting companies: Trans Union, Equifax and Experian. Provide each of them with the proof of you satisfying this debt. Once you contact the credit agencies, the apartment complex will have so many days to dispute your claim of satisfying the debt. If the apartment complex is unable to prove that you owe them, or they fail to respond in so many days, the credit companies will have to remove this debt from your credit rating. This process is generally easy, but very time consuming. You really don't need to hire an attorney to accomplish this goal. However, you can hire an attorney or one of those credit repair companies for a fee to accomplish this goal. I suggest you get started soon, and keep a copy of everything you send to the credit reporting companies in the event you receive a letter from your employer regarding your credit. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you, ***** ***** great, however I almost want to sue them since they have been such a hassle since I left there premises. Not to mention the only way I found out about this was because I applied for a auto loan and got denied and seen that I was in collections on the dis approval letter. So I did a credit check and found the information of the credit collection agency and when calling them to dispute the charge they said they cannot speak with me since it's in a "lawyer status". They said they can only speak with my attorney.

Which company told you that the debt was in lawyer status, the collection agency?

I suspected that. Don't bother dealing with the collection agency, their only responsibility is to collect the debt. I would focus on contacting the credit reporting agencies. In addition you can write a letter to the collection agency disputing the claim and send your proof. That will generally stop the calls/letters that you may be receiving. I hope this information helps.

Your awesome. Thanks
You're

You are most welcome. Please don't forget to rate my services. Good luck!

Ok

Good night.

Hi, I'm just following up to see if you were satisfied with my response. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. If you were satisfied with my response, please rate my service. Have a great day.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something that I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.