Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I had gotten an apartment and they had somethinmg called the

Customer Question
good life promise which was...
I had gotten an apartment and they had somethinmg called the good life promise which was for any reason if you didnt like the apartment you were able to break contract, however, i did that within the frst 30 days because the location didnt work for me they are trying to charge me over 3500 for leaving now... im not to sure what i should do
JA: You can discuss that with the Lawyer or ask for a different Lawyer.
Customer: ok how ?! For some reason it gave me you ...sorry
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: az
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: they said they would send it to the credit angncies if i did not pay it.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: http://mclife.com/us/
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no ma'am
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/1/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

Does your lease contain the right to cancel in the first 30 days without any payment?

I dont believe so i have to go back and re read it again my mom said she didnt see anything however it is on their website....http://mclife.com/us/
I talked to the lady she said they could try to bput me in a sister commuinty however for my job transfer they didnt have a location close enough for me and that is why i signed out within my first 30 days

Thank you for the additional information.

Unfortunately, only the terms of the written lease are relevant. Even if it is on their website, if it is not in the lease then it is not part of the terms of your tenancy.

Therefore, without a provision in the lease providing a right to early termination or landlord breach (constituting constructive eviction), you are liable for the payment of rent and other obligations specified in the agreement until the end of the lease term.

So, you have a few options. First, you can try to find a new tenant to either be a subtenant or assignee of your lease.

Next you can try to negotiate a lump-sum settlement of the remaining balance on the lease.

Finally, and most risky, you can just move out without a new tenant or settlement, and hope the landlord can relet the space quickly.

The last option puts you in breach of the lease and subject to damages if the landlord sues and prevails.

With regard to the first two options, if you find a new tenant or reach a settlement with the landlord, it is most important that the terms be in writing and signed by the parties so that it is enforceable in court.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want to see you spinning your wheels.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.

Otherwise, have I answered your question?

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Loren, Attorney