Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What are the chanced of a father winning custody of his

child without his name on...
What are the chanced of a father winning custody of his child without his name on the birth certificate. If he's been raising the child for majority of their life.
JA: Who currently has legal custody? Is there a custody agreement or order?
Customer: No. The father has had the child for majority of the time. I think the mother might have legal custody
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mother lives in Louisiana and the court date is in 2 months
7/31/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is that it is not likely that somebody who is not on the birth certificate is going to win custody of the child. However, if the person has actually been taking care of the child and has acknowledged paternity, then their chances go up. It's understandable that a person may not end up on a birth certificate because their relationship with the mother may not be the best at the time. Depending on how old the child is, then it is entirely possible that the father just has not gotten around to it or the state has not yet issued a new birth certificate if he has gotten around to it. Therefore, the only issue really is whether the father is able to prove That the best interest of the child is to stay with him, then the chances go up considerably.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

What are some ways a father can prove the best interest of the child is with him and how can he get his name on the birth certificate if the relationship with the childs mother isnt the best

That's a very good question. That's a very good question. One of the things that I recommend to people if they are looking to get custody of their children is to think about the health, welfare, and education of the child. The court is going to be looking to those three things to determine with whom the child should be living. Because I don't know your situation in great detail, it's probably best if you click here to see which one applies to you.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer