Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I loaned someone about 12,000. I had met him only online. He…

Customer Question
I loaned someone about...

I loaned someone about 12,000 . I had met him only online. He keeps promising to pay me back. The proof of the loaned money is Messenger conversations and receipts from Western union and money gram but they were to third parties who sent on to him. I have this knowledge printed out too and saved on my cell. How can I get my money back

Lawyer's Assistant: We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.

I'm sorry . I do not understand. I asked a legal question and seems that I just got a generic reply about 30 day refund policy and email***@******.***

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

He lives in Miami Fl. He had me to send to friends : 1 in NC, 1 in Newnan Ga, and 1 in Indiani. I live in Ga. He was supposedly in the country of India when I was loaning him the money. I think he may be a scam met I just am not sure.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The loans have been about a month ago over a couple of months. I have dates on western union and money gram receipts. Nothing has been filed or reported.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just is it possible to get my money back with the evidence I have.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

I understand . Thank you
I will wait . No call

Unfortunately, this bears all of the signs of an internet romance scammer. If you can find out who or where the scammer really is, you can sue him for the return of your money or seek to have him prosecuted and recover your money through the criminal justice system. But scammers prey on folks from other countries, and finding him may not be possible.

You do have the information as to two so-called friends who have been laundering the money he stole from you, and you can try to go after them, since they were helping him defraud you. But if you sent the funds to them via Western Union or MoneyGram, the information you have on them may be no more real than what you got from your scammer.

In short, getting your money back may be a job for law enforcement. You need to report the crime to your local police and then, since this is a matter involving several different states, to the FBI at www.IC3.gov, which is their internet crime complaint report.

If none of this bears any fruit because none of the information you have on any of these people checks out, by reporting the crime, you can at least deduct your unreimbursed losses when you file your 2017 taxes next year and get something back in the form of a deduction.

I have 3 so called friends that sent him money. Is it possible to just bypass my local police and just report to the FBI?

You can go right to the FBI. But it's best that you report it to both, particularly if you think that you may one day need to take the tax deduction.

Why is it necessary to report to local police in order to file on taxes ? Thank you

Because if the IRS ever questions the deduction, you want to be able to establish that you reported the crime to all the appropriate authorities. Also, if you do find the people you sent the money to, the failure to make a timely outcry to the authorities can potentially hurt your credibility if you take them to court. Finally, typically, the FBI leaves matters to state authorities if the loss involved is under $50,000 or if this is not an organized crime matter.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney