Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

3 years ago i was offered a partnership with a "Friend" in a…

Customer Question
Hi 3 years ago i...

Hi
3 years ago i was offered a partnership with a "Friend " in a corporation by that time i didn't have my legal papers (work authorization ,s.s) so i never add my name to the company ,each of us put 8 thousand dollar
My partner rented a apartment and convince me to live the whit him as roommates and off course the apartment was part of the salary ,over a years ago i got my papers and stating looking at the bank account and company books ,i notice that most of our proffit goes for hes expensive life style (12k Rolex ,9 credit cards ,and sport cars )not to mention car insurance and food ,housing and clothing all taken directly from the company ,our company start to get in debt as he never set a side sales tax money and payng late rents fee ,so i start do demand him to set us both with a payroll these months was was very intense ,i needed to borrow money from friend and open credit card for basic needs as food and clothing ,
now i guess he found easy for him to kick me out of the company and from the apartment as every thing was in his name
he didn't pay me the my debts created by the company and he made sure to tell every one that im not but a employee that was fired , he called the police to evict me from the apartment and shot off the power .
i have in my possession all the company books and lot of proof that i started the company from zero
i'm looking for a way to make him pay me before going in trial
( i cant afford a long process)as i now have no money ,no place to stay for long and my work authorization is expire in 2 months and i dont have how to renew ,
i will apriciate any advice
thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

California ,los angeles

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The issue is that since you did not have your papers and could not be an owner on the business, you would now have to seek to prove ownership via oral agreement back to at least the date you did get your papers. While you have no money and cannot afford a long process, that is exactly what your legal option is regarding this matter. If he is not giving you ownership or paying you what you are entitled to, you have no choice but to go to court to file a lawsuit against him for breach of his oral contract with you and you can prove the contract based on the roommate agreement and other money you received over the time period to prove that you did work as agreed and the court will have to order him to give you your share of ownership.
This is the process that is available for you.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney