Our city provides closed captioning of city meetings. Is it…

Customer Question
Our city provides closed...

Our city provides closed captioning of city meetings. Is it a requirement of the city to also provide full transcripts of meetings?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have a complaint process set up in the city, and yes a complaint has been filed asking the city to provide transcripts upon demand in addition to closed captioning.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all, thank you

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

If the city provides recordings upon request then they would have to offer some version of that for people who were unable to listen to the recording. The most obvious would be a transcript.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dwayne - we provide CLOSED CAPTIONING currently to comply with ADA regualtions. My question is: the citizen is asking for a full transcript of the proceedings. Is this a requirement of a city if we are already doing closed captioning?

No, unless closed captioning isn't sufficient to meet their disability (and I can't think why a transcript would meet their disability and yet closed captioning would not). The issue I was addressing was more towards the meetings that have been held in the past and if you were providing recordings of those meetings.