How do I dimiss a protective order. I can no longer contact…

Customer Question
How do I dimiss...

How do I dimiss a protective order. I can no longer contact my girlfriend because we had an argument and we were both charged

Lawyer's Assistant: Has there been violence, threats of violence, or ongoing harassment?

In the past there has been arguments and she has hit me however this is the first time she called the Police

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes we went to Court today and I they issued a protective order

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I think it is totally unfair and unjust

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well they issued the standard, no contact, phone calls, emails, etc. Also, I have been renting an apartment and they told me to vacate it so she could live it. I find that totally unrealistic

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Is this a criminal order or a civil order? What US state are you in?

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in the state of Connecticut. Once again we were both issued Protective Orders preventing us from having any contact. We are both scheduled to go back to court on September 19th. Is there anything I can do to dismiss this charge or do I just have to wait to go back to court ?? Also, what are the chances they will dismiss the charges at that date ??
Thank you

The best way to handle this is to have your lawyer contact her lawyer. That would not violate the no-contact provision.

If you both agree that you both want to get the case dismissed, the lawyers can work that out with the STate Attorney on, if not before, the court date.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont have an attorney to date. If I go to court without one do I risk having this order extended ??

Is your case a criminal or a civil matter? In other words, were you both charged with crimes? If it's civil and you both wish the order dropped, you could both just ask the judge to let it go. You could do that without a lawyer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we were both charged with disturbing the peace

Right. Then my first answer will apply. You can talk to the prosecutor about dropping the case, but you can't talk to your cross-complainant to see if she is also willing to drop. The order will be renewed on each date until the case is over. At least one of you should have a lawyer and it could likely all go away on your court date.