When does the power of attanity (POA) end, this is in the…

Customer Question
When does the power...

When does the power of attanity (POA) end

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

This is in the sta of nebraska od iowa. no pape4work has been filed. I just was told since no paperwork has been filed the poa goes to the next of kin which would be my ason

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of other than the fact is it is about my ex bit he has been with me swince 2006.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

A Power of Attorney lasts forever or until the death of the person giving the POA unless the POA has a specific duration set forth in the document (for example "this POA ends on January 1, 2018"). Also, a POA does NOT pass to the next of kin or to anyone else unless there is a specific alternate named in the Power of Attorney. Only the person or persons specifically named in the POA have the rights granted by the POA.

It is not required that a Power of Attorney paperwork be filed anywhere. Normally the person who will use the POA keeps the original signed document and then if someone needs a copy (for instance a bank may want a copy of a POA to allow them to make deposits or withdrawls) they are shown the original and then make a copy of the original for their files.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.