Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My husband had aorta valve replacement dr. told me valve was…

Customer Question
My husband had aorta...

My husband had aorta valve replacement dr. told me valve was in heart was beating was a bit sluggish and just needed a rest for 3 days and would need to go to a hospital that had better equipment. he was airlifted to USC Keck wherein they told me he was very ill i believe they told me he may have had a sliced aorta for sure they told me he had a heart attack on the left side of the heart and that side of the heart was dead he had 1 more surgery to clean up the heart area and one more surgery to see if they could do anything he was at usc for 6 days on life support and i took him off life support after 6 days. what has really bothered me is that original dr led me to believe all was find his heart just needed a rest and then it would beat normally when I got to USC they told me that was absolutley not true.I called the original surgeron 2 months after my husbands death and again clarified everything that he had orignally said thank you Jackie Burchell

Lawyer's Assistant: How long was the marriage? Do both parties earn roughly the same amount of money?

We were married 32 years we both worked until I quit working in 2013 my husband passed away june 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband had the first aorta valve replacement in 2013 and his cardiologist told him that original valve was recalled also due to the fact there was a slightly higher than average that people were needing a new valve i did check after my husbands surgery and there were no lawsuts at that time. the cardiologist did tell us that they don't know why some valves last 3 years and some may last 20 years

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What you should be doing is taking your case to a local medical malpractice attorney who can properly evaluate your claim and determine whether you have a valid claim for medical malpractice/wrongful death. The issue that you might run into is that although the doctor told you something that proved to be wrong, there might not be any damages because your husband was taken immediately to a place where they provided better treatment.

So you might run into difficulties in that you cannot tie any damages back to the misdiagnosis of the original doctor. Now if there was any delay in getting your husband to the hospital because of the statements made by the original doctor, then that might be a different story. Such a delay could have resulted in a decreased chance of his survival and therefore damages might result.

This is why you need to contact a local medical malpractice attorney who can go through a detailed set of facts with you and determine whether the error by the original doctor resulted in the death of your husband.

Additionally, there potentially could be a product liability case against the aorta valve manufacturer if there is a defect in that particular model. The medical malpractice attorney should be able to look into that for you as well. This would be separate from your claim against the doctor and could serve as an independent basis for recovering damages if the claim against the original doctor does not work.

I am sorry for your loss, but I hope this has been helpful.

If so, please provide a positive rating at the top of your screen so I get credit for helping you today!

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney