Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

How are you? I Pawned some jewelry at the pawn shop on may

Customer Question

how are you? I Pawned some jewelry at the pawn shop on may 19th and went in today to pick up or pay on it. and they said it was gone they didn't call send a letter or any thing. said I had 45 days. can I take them to court
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Roanoke VA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If it is beyond the 45 days and you did not pay, they have the right to sell the property. You need to read your contract for the pawn, because it would specify in the contract stating if you fail to make payments or renew the pawn agreement, they can sell the item without notice to you. Therefore, if you missed the time and they did sell, legally you gave them that right in the pawn contract.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.