A default order was filed on July 17. My former husband

Customer Question
wants to lower his support...
A default order was filed on July 17. My former husband wants to lower his support. I tried to get a lawyer, but one didn't call back and the others had consolations a week away. Someone gave me a Lawyer name. I gave him information and he said he wanted $2500 retainer. I asked him if he would take half now. He said yes. He said to mail not email him information as to why I didn't respond to court order.He said he would charge $250 and hour. I said okay. Then this weekend I recall one of the just ask lawyers saying something needed to be filed immediately before the judge makes decision. I wrote to my lawyer this weekend and sent him a bunch of stuff via email. I told him I will pay him the rest of the 2,5000 but after that I can't continue.He wrote back this morning and said he wasn't working for nothing. It's apparent that he's not happy. He said he'll continue work when I sign an agreement. I don't understand why he didn't send me the agreement the other day and was he actually not planing to file motion until I sent the rest?I've been on hold for 15 minutes. Last time I call a secretary answered. Do I work with someone who is irritated with me?Is this normal. Here is the first couple sentences of his agreement:8. The firm shall have absolute right to withdraw from representation in this case at any time upon reasonable notice to you if you breach any provisions of this agreement. Non-payment of account is a reason for the firm’s withdrawal. There shall be no refund to you for time and/or expenses expended on behalf of you.
9. By and through this Agreement you give to the firm a lien on any sum recovered through settlement, judgment, or any other means, as further security for payment of any fees, costs or expenses unpaid at the time you receive such settlement, judgment or other recovery.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

If you agreed to hire him and did retain him, he should start working on the case at once. If he was NOT going to work on the case until the entire retainer was paid, he needed to tell you this, since time is of the essence. Based upon what you shared, his concern may be that he will start working on it, use the retainer and then have to withdraw, if you can not pay him thereafter. He may not want to start this and get stuck on the case and if that is the situation, he should refund what you have paid him and not start working on this.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!