My apt flooded out with sewage I have pictures and video.

Customer Question
My apt flooded out...

My apt flooded out with sewage I have pictures and video. The landlord did very little to nothing to help. I couldn't go home for a couple weeks until they told me it was safe and when I did my son caught impetigo. Can I file a law suit?

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

Written

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is plenty we need to discuss

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

First, if the landlord did not provide you with alternative living arrangements, then you can sue for either the rent that you paid and didn't get to stay at the apartment or any amount of money that you might have paid while living somewhere else (such as at a hotel).

Second, you can sue for any repair costs that you had to make out of pocket as a result of the sewage backup that should have been taken care of by the landlord.

Finally, if the landlord was negligent in either maintaining the sewer system or in the cleanup effort, and the result of that negligence was that your son caught impetigo, then you can hold him responsible for the medical bills and pain and suffering that your son experienced.