I have a friend who has lived with a man for 13 years and he…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend who has lived with a man for 13 years and he just kicked her out. Does she have a chance to get some sort of settlement for taking care of him all theses years and hoping with his business

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats about all i know about her situation. she needs help desperately if she can get it. she has nothing and is 65 years old

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Unfortunately, AZ does not recognize common law marriage, so legally they were just boy/girlfriend all this time and when a relationship like that ends, neither party can be compelled to provide any support or assistance to the other side.

.

It is a difficult situation, because if she volunteered her help and support and he offered nothing in return long term, then about the only way she could possibly sue him would be if he made verbal promises to take care of her for life in return for her help and care. She could then possibly maintain a breach of contract suit against him, but would need to talk to a local civil litigation or family law attorney to see if they thought she had a case.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney