If someone sues me for a breach of contract and they are…

If someone sues me...

If someone sues me for a breach of contract and they are trying to add up debatable if not erroneous monies indirect of the contract (like pain and suffering, missed vacation etc) they want to recover from me, but yet they worked with me past the due date to complete the project and I was not paid fully for the project if we go to court and I don't have the money can I be put me in jail? this is in Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What's the contract for? Who are the parties?

Its for filming and editing a movie, its my self and another individual

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge as of yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think thats it

7/31/2017
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. No, this is a civil issue, not criminal, so jail would not be ordered. If they prevail and get a judgment, you would be expected to pay. If you failed to do so, they could then try and go after you to satisfy it, by trying to go after money, assets, wages, etc, to be made whole. Of course, you could also try and settle with them and work out a payment plan, showing a good faith effort to pay.

they seem to think if I dont pay they will put me on a work release program? I live in georgia and i know they do some funky stuff lol just wanna be sure they aren't the exception to the rule. Would you agree that any monies not directly related to making the movie aka studio time etc are debatable hes trying to sue cause he had to stay longer at a rental because he missed his vacation etc

I agree that they would need to show damages, related to the breach. It would be hard to really get the court to award damages for pain and suffering over a breach of contract claim or to award damages for having to miss work to defend the lawsuit.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Thanks I feel better :-) they are just trying to agitate me.

Yes, I am sure and they are likely trying to load up on damages and other causes of actions, knowing the Judge may toss them at some point. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney