Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I had a house fire so I had to find a place to stay and I am…

Customer Question
I had a house...

I had a house fire so I had to find a place to stay and I am not working I have authritis and fybromhnagia ,and maybe lime desease ,anxiety, depression, ADHD,,soi have a lot of dibilitation ,and I have no support but anyway I got a third party PA and I was suppose to get a mobile home but he said the town would not do that so I was looking for a place I have 6 small dogs and I don't blaim anyone not renting to me because I am a landlord myself but a friend of mine gave me a name of a women and I called her and she said yes my PA said he paid for it and i questioned my insurance company farmers and they did not reply . so I sighed an agreement over a fax in July 2016 and moved in ,in august 6th there were no closets and the stove wasn't on . I didn't no about the stove until after I moved in .and I asked for the pin # for the internet and she said I would have to go with her and get the pin # witch I know is not true so I wanted to get my own service and she would not let them on the premisses and it gets worse buy the way before I poor my heart out do I have to lay for this

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?

You misunderstood me in NY upstate I couldn't get a mobile home I moved into a house and the landlord got 6,000 @

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I went to the department of legal services and they said I could handle it myself , this women turned electric off 3 times turned the hot water off for three days I couldn't have internet ,she turned the heat on 95 degrees she would drive her car in the back were I was staying and tease the dogs they would bark all night because someone or something was outside .she went into the studio while I wasn't there because she left her shoe behind she has .that deseae where everything is dirty I can't think of the name of it wait ocd I had to put booties on before I went into the apartment she went to grab me because I confronted her about letting my dogs loose and she went to grab me and broke my necklace yes I called the police and they told me it was civil take her to court but I had no were to go except for my apartment that was empty because my tenant move out because of the smoke and I needed to rent that it was my only income well mentally I could not handle anymore and obviously she wanted me out she did more but I'm sure you get the idea well she told me I wasn't going to get my deposit back so I took her to court the judge said and her attorney said it was the insurance companies money and she won but if its the insurance company's money why

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Does she get to keep the money .come to find out home source company paid for it through the PA and on the lease it says that the lease get the deposit and remainder of any moneys left over and I didn't appeal it because I just had to much on my plate and I was so desraut . and scared because I four out she killed her husband 30 years ago .and she went to jail for it . and she has been at my house . because she nose where I live she is just a sick women and I don't know what she is capable of . and the police won't do anything so not only did I not get paid back the deposit I didn't get money for living exspences and loss of income and the PA and contactor didn't finish the work on my house they got 157,000 for a fire I put out with my garden hose .I wrote to the DOFS Twice and I have a a # and a women to call but she does not answer me or return my calls .what can I do to get justice . and be able to have peace of mind

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. You may be abel to get your money back. For the closet, stove, and electricity issues, this appears to be a violation of the implied warranty (promise) of habitability. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied warranty of habitability. Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability. That is, the landlord must repair substantial defects in the rental unit and substantial failures to comply with state and local building and health codes. However, the landlord is generally not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets.

For her breaking your necklace, you may also have a cause of action for battery and trespass to chattels (personal property). battery occurs when one party causes an unlawful and offensive touching them another intentionally. They trespass to chattels occurs when one party Interferes with the possession of another's personal property. By touching you and ripping your necklace, she could be held liable for those actions

As far as why the insurance company would keep the money, it is possible that the issue of subrogation Came into play. Subrogation s when an insurance company seeks payment or restitution from a third party that caused damage or injury to an insured person or property. Why the insurance company was able to take your money as a bit beyond me. You would likely have to have an attorney in your area review your specific situation here so that we may be able to get your money back there. The reason is because insurance companies in New York do not have the right to subrogation. Therefore, there may be some issues that have resulted.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the New York State LRS - click here.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

I think you miss understood me .home source paid for the studio and I didn't realize that until after I took her to court .so home source got reinberced and the landlord and her attorney had the same paperwork lease that I sighed and She sighed and here lawyer new that . but he responded to the judge and said it was the insurance company's money . I witch he lied . is that legal

I apologize. I'm may need to opt out of this question and let another expert take over.

No thank you . I can't spend anymore money , I could of gotten a free evaluation from an attorney . I though my question was clear . it is very complex , a lot of fraud going on
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

I am a different Attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you. There will be no charges for us to continue. Did you want to continue with this question?

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney