How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55703
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a family business matter story I'll try to keep it

Customer Question

Hello, I have a family business matter long story I'll try to keep it short
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's fine just a family business question
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. Can you elaborate so I can understand how I can help? Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've been working for my moms company since 2010. I am a single mom of three boys. The understanding was I would take over in 2015 when my mom retires. It's 2017 and now she wants to sell it stating she will pay for me to finish school to become a teacher. Teachers start out at 36000 and that's what I make now. The company can afford to pay more but my mom won't she makes about 100 grand a year. My dad owns a business they own rentals together. They do not hurt for money.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like to put my boys through college and not live paycheck to paycheck. I have been working there 7 years with a promise for a better life and now that won't happen just wondering what my rights are? If any
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for responding. Although the promise was verbal, do you have any voice mails, texts, witnesses, emails, etc. that would substantiate that your mom made this promise to you? Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do believe I may have a lantalk from work where she admits to this
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
witnesses my dad knows my sisters know
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. If you can produce witnesses or other substantiation that such a promise was made, then do have recourse here. The lack of a written contract can be overcome by the concepts of promissory estoppel, detrimental reliance, and unjust enrichment. This situation arises when Person A relied upon the verbal agreement, Person A performed based on such reliance, and because Person B defaulted, such reliance is now to Person A's detriment. Where there is i) partial performance by Person A based upon the mutual promises, ii) Person A relied upon such promises to perform, iii) Person B's failure to perform would be to Person A's detriment, and iv) result in Person B being unjustly enriched, Person A can overcome the legal requirement that the agreement be in writing. Your situation would satisfy all the foregoing elements.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to let you know that I will be away at a meeting for the next hour or so. Should you have a follow up while I’m away, I will address it immediately upon my return. Thank you in advance for your patience. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Just following up with you to let you know I have returned. Let me know if I can help you further. Thank you!