Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I need to know how to change the name of the owner on the…

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know how to change the name of the owner on the title of a property from our company name to my name. I am legally able to do any transactions involving the company. We need to have the house in an individual's name in order to pull a plumbing permit because we are having trouble finding a contractor to pull the permit. A contractor is required when the house is in our company name, but I would be able to perform the work and pull the permit if it is my name.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you begun using the new name? Have you filed a petition in court?

We have the property in the company's and that title is filed with the County recorder so yes we have. And we have begun to use the company name

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe that's it for now

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the only reason you are trying to change the title is to save a little bit on plumbing work by doing the work yourself you may find it is more trouble in doing so than what you would pay.
In order to change the title over, since it is in the corporate name, you need to have a corporate resolution to transfer the ownership of the property under your name and the board has to vote to do so and that would need to be stated in the minutes. Once you have a vote of the corporation, then you would need to fill out a quit claim deed on behalf of the corporate entity transferring the property into your name. The quit claim deed would then be filed with the property recorder.
Here is a sample Quit Claim Deed from OH (copy and paste link into your browser, do not click on it): http://lawlibrary.franklincountyohio.gov/assets/forms/recordable/Deed-Quitclaim-104.pdf
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney