RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I'm wanting to know if a police officer used excessive force

Customer Question

I'm wanting to know if a police officer used excessive force by handcuffs.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Texas and Saturday around 1-2am
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: By me or the police?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was involuntarily sent to a mental hospital for an evaluation.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't need an employment lawyer
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

The use of handcuffs by itself is not likely to be considered excessive force. Handcuffs are commonly used on people being detained/transported, so that the person cannot injure themselves, the officer, or others. Keep in mind an officer doesn't know how volatile you may be or what the situation is, so for safety purposes, they restrained you.

Even bruising from handcuffs, since that is a common occurrence, is not generally considered excessive. But if you developed scars from them, carpel tunnel or other serious injury, that potentially could be excessive force.