Today I was caught going out of macy store with items I

Customer Question
unintentionally did not pay for...
Today I was caught going out of macy store with items I unintentionally did not pay for, the items was left at the store the police was call in and I was taken to the police station. My picture was taken and my finger print. I was given a court date, this is my fist tome offence with no ctiminal record. The items cost $105. What shpuld i do now. And how should i plead in court.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Michael Gonzalez,
 replied 11 months ago
Michael Gonzalez
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Under New Jersey's N.J.S.A . 2C:20 11:
shoplifting deals with a person who purposely takes merchandise from a store. The person must have an intent to deprive the store/owner of the merchandise of payment for it. From your facts, it does not appear that the requisite intent is present.N.J.S.A. 2C:20 11(c)(4) provides that shoplifting is a disorderly persons offense if the merchandise is only valued at $200 or less. A conviction for DP shoplifting, is the least severe type of shoplifting. A DP charge is basically a misdemeanor, and it is not considered to be a felony. The fines to be imposed are up to $1,000 for misdemeanor/disorderly persons shoplifting.Notwithstanding it is very difficult to say whether a plea is advisable. I would consult a local criminal attorney to protect your rights and interests.
Lawyer: Michael Gonzalez,
 replied 11 months ago

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Rating me costs you nothing. Thank you.