Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Today I was caught going out of macy store with items I

Customer Question
unintentionally did not pay for...
Today I was caught going out of macy store with items I unintentionally did not pay for, the items was left at the store the police was call in and I was taken to the police station. My picture was taken and my finger print. I was given a court date, this is my fist tome offence with no ctiminal record. The items cost $105. What shpuld i do now. And how should i plead in court.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
7/31/2017
Lawyer: Michael Gonzalez,
 replied 6 months ago
Michael Gonzalez
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Under New Jersey's N.J.S.A . 2C:20 11:
shoplifting deals with a person who purposely takes merchandise from a store. The person must have an intent to deprive the store/owner of the merchandise of payment for it. From your facts, it does not appear that the requisite intent is present.N.J.S.A. 2C:20 11(c)(4) provides that shoplifting is a disorderly persons offense if the merchandise is only valued at $200 or less. A conviction for DP shoplifting, is the least severe type of shoplifting. A DP charge is basically a misdemeanor, and it is not considered to be a felony. The fines to be imposed are up to $1,000 for misdemeanor/disorderly persons shoplifting.Notwithstanding it is very difficult to say whether a plea is advisable. I would consult a local criminal attorney to protect your rights and interests.
Lawyer: Michael Gonzalez,
 replied 6 months ago

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Rating me costs you nothing. Thank you.

Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez