A former tenant of mine has left her key taped inside her…

Customer Question
A former tenant of...

A former tenant of mine has left her key taped inside her former rural route mailbox. Can I legally retrieve my key or am I breaking some kind of US Post Office Code or law about going into someone's official Post Office box?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

NY State

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It's kind of weird because I have never had a tenant do that when turning the apartment over?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
7/30/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. That is a very unique situation. The law is not clear on this kind of situation. The only things that are against the rules of that you are not allowed to open someone else's mail. You are also not allowed to play something that is not mail inside of the mailbox. Otherwise, if you are simply going into the mailbox to retrieve your own property, then you are not going to be breaking the law. Accord would probably look to this same situation as if her key was left inside of her new residence. If you wanted to her home only to get the key and retrieve your property, then you would not be considered to be breaking any state or federal laws. My recommendation would be to just grab the key without telling the individual so that way you can avoid them making some sort of claim that could soak up a lot of your time and money

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.