Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I own a piece of property with a cabin in the mountains. I

Customer Question

I own a piece of property with a cabin in the mountains. I do not carry liability insurance in case of an accident, if a guest were to get injured. My daughter and her husband use the cabin along with guest that go with them on a regular basis. Am I exposing myself to a potential law suit if someone gets injured on the property. And, beyond purchasing liability insurance is there any other way to avoid a lawsuit?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CO
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO--no incident at this time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well--for example if I post a sign on the door saying individuals on the property are solely responsible if an injury occurred--would that be adequate???
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
As the owner of record, you have liability for any injuries occuring on the property due to defects and maintenance failures which you know or should know of.
There is no real absolute way to absolve yourself of exposure to liability which is easier and more foolproof than liability insurance.
In most injuries, the real risk to you is not the compensation for the injury itself, but the potential for years of protracted litigation and, potentially, hundreds of thousands of dollars in costs and fees you will incur.
Even in cases where coverage is disputed, the insurer may often still be required to tender defense of the claim in a lawsuit.
So, what I am telling you is that there is no more cost effective way to protect yourself than a liability insurance policy.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No--I would not do that. I anticipated your answer and gladly accept your expert response.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for understanding.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!