RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Im 16, am i able to move out on my 17th birthday,

Customer Question

im 16, am i able to move out on my 17th birthday
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: what do you mean
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: the question you asked
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really,
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

You would still be considered a minor in Massachusetts at 17 and could not, unless your parents consented and a court found that you could be emancipated and gain legal status as an adult.

There is no formal procedure in Massachusetts for a child to become emancipated from his/her parents. Most judges will not grant a child emancipated status. However, a child may still file for emancipation in the Probate and Family Court of his or her county despite the lack of a formal procedure. In rare situations where a judge is convinced that emancipation is in the best interest of the minor and that the parents are not using it to get out of paying child support, the judge may grant emancipation. Generally, a minor would have to show that they can financially support themselves -without help of family, friends or the government -- and have the ability to live independently for a court to even consider granting emancipation.

If you move away from home, your parents can call the police who are obligated to return you to your parent's home if and when they find you.

There is no formal procedure in Massachusetts for a child to become emancipated from his/her parents. Most judges will not grant a child emancipated status. However, a child may still file for emancipation in the Probate and Family Court of his or her county despite the lack of a formal procedure. In rare situations where a judge is convinced that emancipation is in the best interest of the minor and that the parents are not using it to get out of paying child support, the judge may grant emancipation.

Please let me know if I can clarify any information or provide you with more information. If I have fully answered your question, I would ask that you leave a positive rating for me at this time by clicking on the stars at the top of the page so I am credited for my time and assistance by the site. Thank you.