Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What if there is a life insurance policy on someone and no…

Customer Question
What if there is...

What if there is a life insurance policy on someone and no beneficiary is assigned? Who gets the money?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
7/30/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

So, if somebody does not have a beneficiary listed on their life insurance then the life insurance company is just going to pay the estate. at that point, it's going to be determined by whether anybody has a will. If the deceased person has a will then the money is going to be distributed according to that will. If they do not have a well, then it is going to follow the rules of the state where the person died wearing they will have the money distributed according to state law. Usually, this means that the money will end up going to the spouse or to the children that died. Did you have any other questions for me?

Text me the answer instead of a phone call.

No problem. I just sent the answer to you. I'll copy if you for your review.

I need clarification on the money going to the "children that died" in your response.

Sure thing. My apologies. What I meant is that if someone dies without a will and they are unmarried at the time, their property will go to their children.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer