Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I had a piece of property that has a troubled history, the…

Customer Question
I had a piece...

I had a piece of property that has a troubled history, the city government where it was located

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes - City "blackballed" the property, stringent demands related to critical areas. Went to sell it, potential buyers went to City, City would claim it could not be built on and other derogatory info. Over time I kept reducing the price to try to sell it as each buyer backed out after meeting with the City. Sold the property at major loss after two years of this. Can I sue the City over their part in this debacle?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
7/29/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It seems to me like you may have any tortious interference with contract. According to Cornell Law School, “Tortious interference is a common law tort allowing a claim for damages against a defendant who wrongfully interferes with the plaintiff's contractual or business relationships.” in this case, you could argue that because the city “ black balled” the property, because they play stringent demands related to critical areas, and because they claimed that nothing could be built on the property, and If you can prove that they did this intentionally, then the answer is yes you can sue the city for tortious interference.

Because it is kind of complicated, I would recommend hiring an attorney in your area.One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Washington LRS - click here.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

To clarify - even if I have sold the property on 1-27-2017, I am still able to go back after the City claiming that their actions drove down the price of the property?

Correct. A completed sale does not mean a) that they didn't interfere; b) that they didn't intend to interfere; and c) that their interference didn't cause you some harm. Did you have any other questions for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer