Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Is there a penalty or fine in Texas or other states for not

Customer Question

Is there a penalty or fine in Texas or other states for not ever recording the marriage license after the ceremony?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The ceremony took place 3 years ago
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

There is no criminal penalty for failing to record the marriage license, but the marriage may not be valid without the license, which is expired.

So, if the parties wish to be married, other than common law, they would need to redo the process.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.

Otherwise, have I answered your question?