Do I have to return my engagement ring if my former finance…

Customer Question
Do I have to...

Do I have to return my engagement ring if my former finance called off the engagement?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/29/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

Under Texas common law, an engagement ring is considered a "conditional gift". True ownership does not vest to the recipient until the condition—marriage—is met. Should the engagement end without a marriage, ownership of the ring goes to whoever was not at fault in the breakup.

So, if your fiance had no valid reason for calling off the engagement, you may have legal grounds to keep the ring.

Can you give me a Texas law resource to show this in writing?

See McLain v. Gilliam, 389 S.W.2d 131 (Tex.Civ.App.-Eastland 1965, writ ref'd n.r.e.) . . . The court in McLain expressed the rule as follows: A gift to a person to whom the donor is engaged to be married, made in contemplation of marriage, although absolute in form, is conditional; and on breach of the marriage engagement by the donee the property may be recovered by the donor. 389 S.W.2d at 132.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney