Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

My neighbor is filing a lawsuit against me claiming I stole

Customer Question

My neighbor is filing a lawsuit against me claiming I stole her water. Is this a criminal or civil lawsuit?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Neighbor said a lawsuit is coming...
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the neighbor said she has pictures; not sure what that means.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Every criminal case has a corresponding cause of action in civil court. That's a fancy way of saying that you can be sued or prosecuted for theft.

With criminal court, the complainant cannot file charges. Only the prosecutor can do that. Nor do you get sued in criminal court. You get prosecuted. So taking your neighbor at her word, she's looking for a monetary resolution to her legal situation rather than having you arrested. She's taking you to civil court.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.