How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34438
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Years ago I gave myself a name for an online I D. ( chat

Customer Question

Hi years ago I gave myself a name for an online I D. ( chat site) and a month or so later a company started using it and got a lot of publicity, I just felt like I had been robbed cause it was my idea.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ca.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I prove it because it was online.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Copyright protects your original creative expressions.

If you can show you were the first to use this unique name and I.D. then you can assert copyright ownership. Presumably, since it was used online, that would not be difficult.

You would start by sending out a cease and desist letter to the company to demanding they stop using the copyrighted name, etc. and warn they will be liable for damages if they do not.

Then, if they do not stop, you would sue to be awarded damages for the misappropriation of your property.

You can do this yourself, but retaining an attorney is strongly recommended, as intellectual property claims are complex in nature.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:


It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?