Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a best friend who has disintegrated our friendship

Customer Question
relationship to pretty much null...
I have a best friend who has disintegrated our friendship relationship to pretty much null and void and is Seeking a restraining order against me not for any kind of abuse and not for any kind of violence and not for anything remotely related to such nature or any threats of such nature but strictly based on the number of emails that disclose my dissatisfaction with her lack of desire to rejuvenate the friendship even with many Olive branches offered to her and these emails are the same nature that she previously interacted with me many times before in the last 4 years where it didn't come to any kind of restraining order cause of action and I'm a most passive person with the content of all my emails basically sharing with her how she has hurt me and disappointed me even though I've forgiven her on many fronts and offered Olive branches to no avail so how do I defend myself against this restraining order when in fact there's no domestic violence and no abuse and no threats of domestic violence or abuse and I'm never even in her physical presence but maybe 15 minutes when she visits once or twice every month so I don't understand how any of that could be considered harassment or even emotional harassment considering that we've gone over these issues with my advice to her regarding her current relationship with a guy that she is not taking where that relationship has been more abusive with threats and other such nature more prone to a cause of action for a restraining order against him than anything I've done in many emails that reflect on our relationship as friends
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: San Diego California... and I don't see how any of this could be considered domestic violence one I don't live with her too she was my best friend and over 9 years ago we had dated but right now it's been a continual best friend relationship for 9 years where she has shared with me every tormenting dissatisfaction and abusive disrespectful thing that her current boyfriend that she lives with has brought upon her and she's okay with that but a bunch of emails from me are considered harassment or emotional distress when in fact he is caused her emotional and physical distress and all of my emails are of a similar nature of thousands of text messages and emails we have gone back and forth with over the last 4 years that did not warrant any kind of restraining order cause of action on her part
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: From what I understand she is filing on Monday with her boyfriends influence the very same boyfriend who is now requesting that she moved back into her condo out of his home because of her transgressions and because of the fact that they certainly don't get along whatsoever and I as a continual best friends having gone through with her many other guys she's dated or been with and I'm the constant in her life or have been as compared to these other guys in particular this guy has threatened to call the cops to kick her out of his house he's gotten in fights in her presence under the influence of alcohol at various clubs and he certainly could be a eminent immediate threat to her well-being at the Home in which she cohabitates with him and that's not cause or pause for concern to consider a restraining order against him but she'll issue won against me for sharing and being 100% transparent with the truth regarding her her relationship with him and her relationship with me as I shared all of that content via emails with both of them since I knew their relationship was over and it really wouldn't matter
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She shared with me a number of situations and circumstances that were of severe concern as she domiciled in his home with her that I was so concerned for her that as she shared that from her lips to my ear I transcribed it to Ink on paper and I sent those concerns to his employer the Department of Defense with the hopes that that would compel him to get relationship counseling to mend their problem because I do have care and concern for her but of late she had disavowed any of my suggestions even though they were honorable and just in order to protect her well-being and best interest and again all the emails I sent were empathetic and yet they were repeated disclosures of how she has hurt and discarded our best friend relationship due to her current relationship with this guy
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
I havent stalked her physically or digitally... we've had thousands upon thousands of emails and text msgs covering the very same issues in my most recent redundant, repeated msgs... certainly no harassment because my words and the content of my msgs are not dis-similar from previous ones where she took no action even though I admonished her for abandoning our friendship due to his control over her and yet also reflect my empathetic forgiveness... absolutely no assault, sexual, physical or otherwise... and absolutely no threats of any kind of violence... I repeatedly tried to compel here to do the right thing by me... and the quantity of emails and text messages and facebook messages were repeats, redundant msgs I wanted to make sure got thru to her... because all the while in his presence she would shut down text messaging and facebook messaging so as not to allow for him to see that she was communication with me covertly... he has despised and hated me from day one because i'm her best friend, much in the way a girlfriend would be and she share absolutely everything with me... i dont see how it can be even thinly qualified as either a civil harassment or a domestic violence restraining order... i'm the most caring tough love person in her life up until now... and again she's interacted with me revolving around these very same issues repeatedly for the last 4 or 5 years with again no pause or cause for a restraining order...Here is the body of the emails forwarded to her and her boyfriend from whom which she will be vacating his abode...
I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO EVALUATE THE ACTUAL CONTENT OF MY EMAILS THAT I BELIEVE HAVE NO WORTH OR VALUE TO BE CONSIDERED HARASSMENT OF ANY KIND... LET ALONE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE... AS PART OF THIS EVALUATION...
FROM HER...
I am devaStated that you could take the steps necessary to try to ruin Mac's career. He just received 4 pages of accusations relating to Mac and me. It's very clear that you are trying to ruin our carriers and put a wedge between he and I. I am devastated beyond measure that a friend of mine could do such a thing. You will most likely be interviewed by the department of defense and Mac could very well lose his security clearance because of this. You opened a whole can of worms. I hope you know that. This is serious business. I pray that Mac goes through this process unscathed. I'm really the only one you want to hurt and suffer. Patrick think about the bot***** *****ne. Is this what you want in the long run? To destroy my life. If it is, you are off to a good start. I give. Just please don't ruin the carrier of a man who has worked so many years to get head in life to be faced with this. This is unfair to him. I pray you will reconsider your path to our destruction.
MY REPLIES ARE INTER-LINEATED BELOW IN BOLD RED... LANGUAGE IS STRONG FOR EFFECT...
BUT IN NO WAY INFERS ANY KIND OF ABUSE, VIOLENCE OR OTHERWISE...I am devatated that you could take the steps necessary to try to ruin Mac's career...YOU... DEVASTATED ME 2,000 FOLD... 2,920 DAYS + COUNTING... I'VE BEEN DYING A MISERABLE LONELY DEATH FOR 8 YEARS...YOU KNEW... I PUT ALL MY EGGS EXCLUSIVELY IN YOUR FRIENDSHIP BASKET OVER ALL THESE LAST 8+ YEARS...YOU KNEW... MY DENTAL ISSUE COULDN'T GET FIXED FOR YEARS NOT ALLOWING FOR ME TO EVEN LOOK FOR ANY REPLACEMENT FEMALE FRIEND...YOU KNEW... MY INCONSISTENT WORK AND FINANCIAL SITUATION WOULD KEEP ME FROM BEING DESIRABLE TO ANY POTENTIAL NEW FEMALE FRIEND...YOU... WITH TOTAL DISREGARD... FOR WHAT WAS ONCE A BEST FRIENDSHIP... TOTALLY ABANDONED OUR FRIENDSHIP...YOU... WITH TOTAL DISREGARD... ISOLATED ME & SHUT ME COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR LIFE... AS YOUR ONCE BEST FRIEND FOR ALL THESE YEARS...YOU.... WITH TOTAL DISREGARD... BASICALLY IMPRISONED ME IN SOLITARY CONFINEMENT WITH NO FRIENDS, NO BEST FRIEND & NO ONE TO DO THING WITH...YOU... CONTRIBUTED IN A BIG WAY... TO DESTROYING MY SELF WORTH, MY SELF CONFIDENCE, MY SELF ESTEEM, MY PASSIONS...AND I BENT OVER BACKWARDS... YEAR AFTER YEAR... OVER & OVER AGAIN... TO COMPEL YOU TO CHANGE YOUR ACTIONS & BEHAVIOR TOWARDS ME...I WAS BRUTALLY CANDID, RAW, HONEST IN HOW I HAD COME TO FEEL ABOUT YOU... & YET FORGAVE YOU... & EVEN OFFERED MANY OLIVE BRANCHES...AND YET YOUR ACTIONS... OR RATHER YOUR INDIFFERENCE & IN-ACTIONS... SHOWED ABSOLUTELY ZERO COMPASSION FOR ME OR MY SITUATION...YOU COULDA, WOULDA, SHOULDA... FOUND AT LEAST A DAY PER MONTH... TO SPEND DOING SOMETHING MEANINGFUL WITH ME...YOU COULDA, WOULDA, SHOULDA... DONE EVERYTHING HUMANELY POSSIBLE... TO STAND UP FOR OUR FRIENDSHIP & FOR US TO SPEND TIME TOGETHER...He just received 4 pages of accusations relating to Mac and me.WERE THOSE 4 PAGES IN A PLAIN WHITE WINDOW ENVELOPE WITH NO RETURN ADDRESS... ON PLAIN WHITE PAPER... INCLUDING THE DOCUMENT BELOW...?AND NOT ON ANY KIND OF OFFICIAL LETTERHEAD OR COMMUNICATION FROM THE DOD...?It's very clear that you are trying to ruin our careers and put a wedge between he and I.ACTUALLY... I WAS TRYING TO GET HIS EMPLOYER TO COMPEL HIM OR FORCE HIM TO GO TO COUNSELING TO IMPROVE YOUR RELATIONSHIP...AND YES, IF THAT DIDN'T WORK... I WAS TRYING TO EXTERMINATE, EXPEL HIM FROM THE RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU... LIKE ALL THE OTHER MEN...I am devastated beyond measure that a friend of mine could do such a thing.YOU QUITE BEING A REAL FRIEND OF MINE MANY YEARS AGO... YOU JUST PRETENDED TO BE, PLACATING ME...THROWING ME FRIENDSHIP CRUMBS... AS I CONTINUED, STRUGGLED, TO TRY TO RENEW IT...You will most likely be interviewed by the department of defense and Mac could very well lose his security clearance because of this.NO I WONT... I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THEY'RE GOING TO INTERVIEW ME... & I SERIOUSLY DOUBT HE WILL LOSE HIS SECURITY CLEARANCE...THEY DON'T KNOW OF MY EXISTENCE... THERE IS AND WAS NO REFERENCE TO ME WHATSOEVER...IF YOU NOTICE... THAT LETTER WAS WRITTEN IN THE FIRST PERSON... FROM YOU & YOUR PERSPECTIVE... WITH EVERYTHING BEING TOTALLY TRUE...BASED ON ALL THAT YOU SHARED WITH ME... REGARDING YOUR LESS THAN OPTIMAL, DETERIORATING AFFECTION-LESS RELATIONSHIP WITH MAC...BOTH THE LETTER HE RECEIVED ( ATTACHED )... WITH MULTIPLE PAGES OF AN EMAIL I SENT TO HIM ABOUT YOU... CAME FROM ME...THE INTERVIEW FEEDBACK LETTER ( ATTACHED )... WAS ACTUALLY SENT WAY BACK ON FEBRUARY 16TH, 2017... IN A PLAIN WHITE WINDOW ENVELOPE...WITH NO RETURN ADDRESS... AND WITH NO SIGNATURE OR CONTACT INFO... FROM NEITHER YOU... NOR ME...IT WAS TO BE PRESUMED... IT WAS FROM YOU... IN REFERENCE AS ADDITIONAL FEEDBACK... TO THE DOD INTERVIEW THAT TOOK PLACE AT YOUR CONDO...IT WAS INTENDED TO OPEN BOTH OF YOUR EYES & YOUR HEARTS... AND TO CHANGE YOUR WAYS, ATTITUDE, ACTIONS... A PRECURSOR OF SORT...You opened a whole can of worms. I hope you know that. This is serious business.YOU'RE GOD DAMN f**kING LUCKY... I WASN'T PISSED OFF ENOUGH... CUZ I STILL WANT TO PROTECT YOU FROM WORSE CONSEQUENCES...
'
THAT I DIDNT LET MAC KNOW... THAT HE WAS IN RECEIPT OF STOLEN PROPERTY... EVERY TIME HE ATE MEAL WITH YOU PAID FOR WITH THE FLEMINGS CARDS...YOU'RE GOD DAMN f**kING LUCKY... THE $5,000 FELONY GRAND THEFT 4 YEAR STATUTE OF LIMITATION HAS COME & GONE... REGARDING THOSE CARDS...YOU'RE GOD DAMN f**kING LUCKY... THAT I DIDN'T LET AMERIPRISE'S EMPLOYEE ANTI-FRAUD DEPT KNOW OF THOSE CARDS...EVEN AS YOU ACCUSED ME OF STEALING THE REMAINING CARDS FROM YOU THAT YOU HID... WHICH IS UNTRUE & TOTALLY PISSED ME OFF TO NO END...YOU'RE GOD DAMN f**kING LUCKY... I DIDNT LET HARTFORD HR & EMPLOYEE RELATIONS KNOW ABOUT THE ISSUE REVOLVING AROUND THOSE CARDS...
I pray that Mac goes through this process unscathed.I'M SURE HE WILL... AND I PRAY THINGS WILL CHANGE FROM THE 2 OF YOU IN A HUGE WAY... ENSURING CONFIDENTIALITY REMAINS UN-BREACHED...I'm really the only one you want to hurt and suffer.I WANT YOU TO EXPERIENCE FIRST HAND... EXACTLY WHAT I'VE GONE THROUGH ALL THESE YEARS... SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ME...YOU'VE UNKNOWINGLY, UNCARINGLY HURT ME & MADE ME SUFFER DEMONSTRABLY... COMPARED TO WHATEVER YOU COULD SUFFER OR HURT...Patrick think about the bot***** *****ne. Is this what you want in the long run?To destroy my life. If it is, you are off to a good start.NOT REALLY... CERTAINLY NOT... CUZ YOU KNOW I COULD DO SO MUCH MORE DAMAGE... WHERE THE f**k IS YOUR EMPATHY...BUT I WANT YOU, NEED YOU TO... YOU MUST KNOW EXACTLY HOW... YOU'VE IR-REVERSIBLY, IR-REPAIRABLY DESTROYED MINE...MAYBE HAVING TO WALK IN MY SHOES... ABANDONED, ALONE, ISOLATED, IMPRISONED, UNWANTED... WOULD OPEN YOUR f**kING EYES & HEART...I give. Just please don't ruin the carrier of a man who has worked so many years to get head in life to be faced with this.WHAT ABOUT WHAT I'VE BEEN FACED WITH... YEAR AFTER YEAR... WHAT ABOUT ME... IT'S ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT JUST YOU...AND HE HAS NEVER EVER... SHOWN ME ANY KIND OF f**kING WORTHY RESPECT, FRIENDSHIP OR CONSIDERATION... AS YOUR ONCE BEST MALE FRIEND...I SHOULD'VE BEEN f**kING WELCOMED WITH HIS f**kING OPEN ARMS... INTO THE FOLD... AS YOUR BEST MALE FRIEND AT THE TIME...This is unfair to him. I pray you will reconsider your path to our destruction.WHAT ABOUT THE PATH OF DESTRUCTION... BOTH YOU AND HE CONSCIOUSLY, INTENTLY & OVERTLY BROUGHT ON ME...AS IF I WAS YESTERDAYS GARBAGE... A PARIAH... UNWORTHY OF ANY KIND OF f**kING ATTENTION OR CONSIDERATION...WHICH CAUSED ME TO CONTINUALLY SPIRAL DOWN IN MY OWN SELF-DESTRUCTION... FEELING BETRAYED, UN-DESERVING...BECAUSE OF EVERYTHING... YOU DID... AND DIDN'T DO... REGARDING MAINTAINING, SUSTAINING OUR BEST FRIENDSHIP...
SHE CLAIMS TO BE TERRIFIED OF ME... FOR NO JUST REASON OR CAUSE... MY COMMUNICATIONS ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN THOUSANDS BEFORE ON THE VERY SAME SUBJECT WITH THE VERY SAME TONE...There you go again... thinking of no one else but yourself... you're not terrified of me, on contrary... you're terrified of the truth be told... exposed about you, about you and Mac, which by the way is your very own testimonials of the truth of your relationship... and about how you have grossly misled me... re: our friendship lost and sucked up by a black hole... as you suck up to Mac...Your being terrified doesn't even come close to how you & Mac have destroyed me in all regards ***** ***** wrote in that email reply...
Mac and his bullshit fragile, never to be challenged macho male ego crap, his ownership of you and all your time, his bogus sense of his superiority over me ( I've got more unused, untapped intelligence in my little finger ) and his unwarranted, overriding hatred for me since day one...
And worst of all you obeying and abiding by it all...
That was his first and continual WEDGE that came between and severed our ( best ) friendship...
what comes around goes around, karma is a bitch... You left me for dead...
everything in that letter is 100% true, straight from your lips to my ears to ink on paper...
I don't give a rat's ass about Mac... He can burn & rot in hell as far as I'm concerned... He's 24/7/365 single sole instigating source of our deteriorated best friendship and you've to this day continually colluded with him in that regard...
Shame, shame, shame on you... shame on you both...
For 8+ yrs... I gave shit about you, your sensitivities, confidentiality... in every regard, never once not thinking, caring about you, to my own detriment as you continued to marginalize me more and more, year after year, treating me like shit as if you were weening me off of you...
And yet I foolishly wasted 8 yrs holding out hope you'd come around, see your BS relationship with mac for what it truly was, as referenced in that letter reflecting it as such...
And waiting... emotionally starving... 2,920+ days for you to change course 360°, hell even at least 90° - 180° your attitude, actions, interactions & time with, towards & regarding me...
blindsided by Mac's control and comfortable situation... you were oblivious or most likely indifferent to me, didn't give a shit and really you didn't care at all...
And it showed... even as you faked it very well... as I'm also to blame... for wearing blinders to the truth of it all...
shame on me for not heeding other's advice re: you...
my eyes are open, my heart may or may not heal... and it will be cathartic to be transparent & honest about everything...
Do you really think blocking me or unfriending me on facebook is a realistic, pragmatic solution to your dilemna... which is of your own making that you've exacerbated for 8 years... is going to make me less pissed off... and more compassionate towards your selfish, self-serving, all about Pamela agenda...I have been steadfastly caring and compassionate about your sensitivities and confidentialities for 8 years now and you haven't done a goddamn thing to change your course about or towards me...as I've given you ample time and have bent over backwards in offering olive branch after olive branch and other forms of re-consideration by you...you obviously didn't put any thought into that action...6 months ago... I copied every bit of contact info for every one of your 442 Facebook friends... let's just say it was an insurance policy towards the transparency of the truth... should you continue to overtly and blatantly without regard for me, for my sensitivities, for my emotional well being... continuing to betray our friendship for your own self-serving needs...
I SERIOUSLY THINK...
IN YOUR ABSOLUTE BEST INTEREST...
YOU SHOULD UNDO UN-FRIENDING ME...
AND SHOULD BE MY ABSOLUTE BEST FRIEND...
AS IT WAS BEFORE...
UNLESS OF COURSE...
YOU'RE OK WITH SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO BE EMAILED OUT...
NOT THAT I WANT TO AT ALL...
OR EVEN FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT...
EVEN AFTER YOU'VE IGNORED ME FOR 8 YRS RUNNING...
SINGLE-HANDEDLY DESTROYING OUR FRIENDSHIP...
SOLELY BECAUSE OF MAC...
BUT YOU'RE FORCING MY HAND...i'm aware of and intimately knowledgeable of a past employee...
who separated from Ameriprise around 2008-9...
in an organizational change of management...
who was handed 10 - $500 Fleming Steak House Gift Cards worth $5,000...
$5,000 of Ameriprise assets...
originally to be used for client relations...
and in the possession of and by another exiting Ameriprise Financial Advisor at the time...
and the past employee who took possession of the cards from that exiting Advisor...
upon leaving Ameriprise...
took those $5,000 in gift cards upon exiting Ameriprise...
I have direct knowledge of all of the cards existence, their card #'s...
and even a # of the transactions from the use of those cards...
including single meals for 2 at the tune of $250 each at Flemings...
and at their other owned and affiliated restaurants...
according to remaining card value verifications...
a number of the cards are still yet unused...
with up to $500 per card in value remaining...Please advise...
Do you really think... I should be ok with you leaving me dead and destroyed for 8 yrs... while you just simply walk away from our once best friendship... to the point of no friendship at all... as you move on enjoying life... pretending to be darling innocent friend to your new circle of unknowing ( duped ) friends...
as if my feelings, emotional well being and 8 yrs of my steadfast loyalty and confidentiality to you was ignored, taken for granted, abused, disregarded... and crumbled to dust... by the crush of your indifference & totally ignoring me...I was okay with that for 8 yrs holding out hope you'd change... and did respect your sensitivities and confidentiality... until I realized your friendship is totally f**king bogus...8 years with something like 42 PTO days off a year... 1,600 days off... and you couldn't find inside of your heart... to care one bit about my needs... nor find any time, not even 1 day per month... to go to beach boardwalk, or seaport village or go see a movie with me... nor anything else... just as friends...except for your BS 15-minute covert visits to my office on weekends... or for a dine n dash 30-minute meal at the craft kitchen... cuz that would be the quickest way to spend the least amount of time with me and then leave... while you were out running errands... unbeknownst to Mac...and at most of those meals... I even paid for the little time you were spending with me... I paid to be humiliated in such a way... by someone who was supposed to be my friend or at once my best friend...what a fool I was... to believe you were a real honest friend to me... hoping that it would improve over time... and it didn't over 8 long years.
that's all i have to contribute right now on this...
i await your substantive detailed response...
7/29/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 3 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

I reviewed your history. what outcome are you seeking? Friendship as you know is not a contractual commitment but if this ex friend owes you money or converted your belongings, that could be pursued. Let me know and I can provide some suggestions next.

What kind of answer is that... as it relates to my defending myself against a civil harassment restraining order or a domestic violence restraining order... based on the substance of my replies and submissions to you... as I seek a response that will compel the judge to drop the restraining order at the hearing and deny any extension of the restraining order... based on my evidentiary submissions to you... that are simply an exchange of emails... where there has been no abuse by me nor no violence by me nor any threats of any nature of abuse or violence of any kind... and in fact whereas I have not even been in her physical presence for more than 15 minutes on any given three to five week period... our interactions and Communications of emotional nature much like I described in this submission to you... have been exchanged between us on these very same issues many many times before in previous months and of late the last few years... as they related to her dissatisfaction with her current living situation and her boyfriend and his disrespect and emotional and physical abusive her... and supplementally my responses and dissatisfaction with her as a best friend with the opportunity to rectify and alter and approve or renew our continued best friend relationship... as she continued to come over and complain to me about him frequently... whereas none of these communications regarding all of these issues between her and I have been considered worthy of any kind of harassment submission against me in the past... and when in fact... his actions behaviors and related issues regarding his living with her and the treatment of her has been much more severe and emotionally traumatic than anything I put in the emails as referenced to my submissions... and how she failed to bring any course of action of a restraining order nature against him but conversely has brought hey restraining order request against me for the emails in question that I submitted to you which are in fact passive in nature without any abuse threats violence or any of the traditional definitions that would require a restraining order to begin with...
That was not an answer. I asked what can I answer for you? Still not clear on your question.
BASED ON ALL THAT YOU READ IN MY SUBMISSIONS... HOW AND WHAT KIND OF DEFENSE CAN I MAKE TO DENY ANY CONTINUOUS OF A TRO WITH SPECIFICS AS IT RELATES TO MY SUBMISSIONS...
A tro is granted when there is unwanted contact and harassment. Your defense then has to be that neither is happening. Practically if this person doesn't want contact you should comply.
Tina, Lawyer