Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  29 Years In General Practice,
68197583

I need help figuring out the legality of preparing food and

Customer Question

I need help figuring out the legality of preparing food and delivering food in Illinois.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, it's just an idea so far, but I'd like to do it correctly and legally from the start
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ma'am
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey there

Would this be a business? Would you be obtaining a license. Where would food preparation take place? Can you provide a little more information?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'd like to start up a food delivery service where I'd prepare the food in my home kitchen and deliver it to customers. Not sure if that's possible or if I'd need to be in a commercial kitchen that's been inspected by the health department.

You would need to be licensed and inspected by the health department.

Where in Illinois are you located?

People do run home food preparation businesses. Many catering companies start with a home business.

http://jhawkins54.typepad.com/files/illinois-cottage-food-regulations---lllaf-1.pdf