How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13897
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I relocated and drove at my own expense for a contract

Customer Question

I relocated and drove at my own expense for a contract position in another state. After signing a rental agreement for 1 year, and buying furniture for the apartment, and or needs that I had to withdraw more than $7000.00. The contracting company that pursued me heavily. Told me their client, my work location made an error with their requirements, and took me off the contract. I know about at-will. But it was not do to any of my doings (which I have in an email). I want to be refunded my $7000.00 which I have receipts.
JA: We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.
Customer: Excuse me?
JA: What's the contract for? Who are the parties?
Customer: It was a 5 year employment contract. I was sent by the contracting company to provide services for the contracting company's client. Both saw contracting company and client my resume requested and and approve me for the position. Then said oops we brought in the wrong type of person.
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?
Customer: The contract is in the state of Maryland. Full time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Even if at-will, or not at-will. I don't want to work for them anymore. I want the travel and living expense I paid, $7,000.00. I would prefer a larger percentage of the 5 year contract.It was only 28 days. I received no warnings. I didn't miss a day of work. I came in and did everything They asked. they simply recognize they made a mistake and I was out. I have an email saying it was nothing i did wrong, they just simply change the criteria.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I think you have an argument for causes of action such as fraud in the inducement, misrepresentation and detrimental reliance. You relied on their assurances that you had this contract position and spent a lot of money to relocate and get settled, only to be told "Whoops...we made a mistake." That's not good enough.

That said, I'm sure you've approached the company about this and they are unwilling to agree to reimburse you. What you can try first is to have a lawyer draft a demand letter spelling out what it is you want and why you believe they are liable and then demanding that they pay you "X" amount by a set date to avoid potential litigation. Sometimes a strong letter from a lawyer with the threat of being sued can be enough to convince a party to do the right thing.

If they don't respond or reject your demand, however, then you're going to have no choice but to file suit against them to try and recover the funds.